The town was first settled in 1622 and officially incorporated in 1644. The Massachuset tribe called the area Nantasket, meaning “at the strait” or “low-tide place.” It is a series of islands connected by sandbars forming the Nantasket Peninsula. Early industries included fishing, trade and salvaging shipwrecks. In 1776 a fort called “Fort Independence” was built on Allerton Point, and in 1901 Fort Revere was built on the same site. In 1927 Fort Duvall was completed on Hog Island (now Spinnaker Island), the largest ever deployed by the United States. Fort Revere is capped with an observation tower, which provides views of the rest of Boston Harbor, as well as much of the northern coast of the South Shore. Hull features Nantasket Beach, with fine, light gray sand—generally considered one of the finest beaches in New England. 1825 was the start of the community’s development as a tourist resort. Paragon Park was built as a safe place for those seeking amusement. The complex closed in 1984. Today, the only surviving remnants of Paragon Park on the boardwalk are the historic carousel and clock tower. Black Rock Beach connecting to Cohasset is the town’s only landed connection to the mainland, although two bridges link the town to Hingham. Hull is located almost 20 miles by land from Boston, although by water it is just 5 miles from Pemberton Point in Hull to City Point in South Boston with a commuter boat service to Long Wharf and the airport. There is commuter rail service to Boston in neighboring Hingham and Cohasset. There are no highways in Hull, but both Rt 228 and Rt 3A provide access to the highway.
Back to Featured Communities